Wednesday, 07 April 2010 09:06
Raga Mala literally translated means "garland of ragas."
Incorporated in 1983, the society's charter is to promote cross-cultural understanding and mutual appreciation of the music and dances from the Indian sub-continent through the hosting of performances in the Edmonton area.
A totally volunteer run organization, the society coordinates concerts by visiting artists from the Indian sub-continent and other parts of North America in collaboration with other organizations. The society also actively promotes performances by artists from Alberta and the rest of Canada. Raga-Mala is a registered charitable society whose membership consists of people from all communities and background.
Over the years, Edmonton Raga-Mala has on numerous occasions hosted such eminent artists as Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, Ustad Vilayat Khan, the late Ustad Alla Rakha Khan Sahib and his virtuoso son Ustad Zakir Hussain; violinist L. Shankar and L. Subramaniam, Sarangi Maestro Ustad Sultan Khan, Santoor player Pundit Shivkumar Sharma, Kathak guru Pundit Birju Maharaj, Allarmelvalli for Bharat Natyam and the late Sanjukta Panigrahi performing Odissi dance, to name but a few.
- To encourage and promote classical music and dances of India, herein simply referred to as "music".
- To provide entertainment through music.
- To run classes and training centers for teaching music and to provide competent teachers for the same.
- To provide necessary equipment and facilities for carrying out its activities.
- To encourage and stimulate research in music.
- To hold lectures, demonstrations, etc. on topics related to music.
- To establish a library of tapes, records, books and other material related to music and to help established libraries to acquire suitable material.
- To make tapes, records, books and other music-related material more easily available to members and the public at large.
- To promote a better understanding and appreciation of Western classical music among the people of Indian origin, and of Indian music among other Canadians.
- To undertake any lawful activity consistent with the above objectives.